I love Insalata Caprese but find it challenging to fit efficiently into our bento boxes for lunch. So I created this relish-style version using the same ingredients and can now fit it in any nook or cranny in the bento. There are 3 things that help this work:
- Removing as much moisture as possible from the tomatoes so they don’t make the other bento items soggy.
- Using white balsamic vinegar keeps the color of the relish bright since you are tossing all ingredients throughly.
- Keep the 1/4 inch dice between the tomato and cheese as uniform as possible to get a nice relish texture.
If you really have your heart set on traditional dark balsamic vinegar, pack it in it’s own little squeeze bottle to drizzle on your relish once you’re at work. You’ll then have the added visual effect of drizzled balsamic.
And remember, a good Caprese is only as fine as the quality of ingredients you use.
1 medium meaty tomato, like a roma, diced and blotted drier with paper towels
1/2 cup diced Teese® Mozzarella
3 fresh basil leaves torn or chopped fine
1 T. olive oil
2 T. white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Blot tomato chunks to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Carefully fold all ingredients together in bowl. A wooden spoon works best for this.
- Garnish with kalamata olives or sprig of basil.