What to do with 10 lbs. of carrots? Make slaw of course! It was hard to pass up a deal on a 10 pound bag of carrots at my local Caputos’ grocery so now I’m saddled with trying out different carrot thoughts. The first of which was, can you make cole slaw without cabbage?
Yes, you can but the term “Cole” doesn’t really apply because “Cole” originates from the Latin, colis, meaning “cabbage”. So there you go. This recipe shall be henceforth known as Carrot Slaw!
Carrot Slaw No. 1
- 3 c. shredded carrots
- 1 c. shredded onion
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced or chopped
- 4 T. lemon-infused olive oil (yeah, I really had some of that sitting around)
- 1 t. garlic powder or 1 clove finely minced
- 1-2 T. mayo, depending on how creamy you want it
- 1 T. white balsamic vinegar, could probably use regular, haven’t tried it
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all veggies together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients, taste and add salt and pepper as you like. The dressing should whisk up to be emulsified and creamy but translucent.
- Pour dressing over tossed veggies and toss again to coat. Let sit for 1 hour before serving for flavors to mingle.
About 6 small servings. Plate on lettuce and garnish with tomatoes.
Note About Lemon
Not everyone is a fan of lemon in their salads and my DH is one of them. So you could also use regular olive oil and add a tad more mayo to keep up the bite. AND likewise, if you don’t have lemon-infused olive oil, use regular and add a teaspoon of lemon zest or juice depending on how strong you like your lemon flavor.