OMG this was wonderful! Best apple crisp EVER and a CONTEST too! DH asked for apple crisp for his birthday and I finally created one where I measured everything. Yes, after 20 years of eyeballing apple crisps, I can finally share a recipe.
SnarkyVegan’s Cranberry Apple Crisp with Maple Syrup
- 7—8 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin (Granny Smiths are the classic but I used Honeycrisps and they were fine)
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1—2 c. frozen cranberries (depending on how much you like cranberries, I used 2 cups)
- 1 c. maple syrup
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. allspice
- 1/4 t. cloves
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 2 T. water
- 2 c. raw oats
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. Earth Balance margarine
- 1/4 c. sugar
- Peel, core and slice the apples and float in a bowl of water with lemon juice until ready with remainder of ingredients.
- Mix cornstarch and water in small cup and set aside.
- Mix remainder of filling ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Add cornstarch mixture to saucepan and continue stirring until thoroughly blended. Really, all you’re doing here is giving it a head start as a syrup so it will coat the apples better before baking.
- Drain apples and mix with cranberries in a deep baking dish.
- Pour hot filling over apples and stir to coat.
- In medium bowl, cream together sugar, margarine and cinnamon. Add oats and pecans and continue creaming until crumbly.
- Crumble topping on top of apple mixture.
- Bake at 375° F for 45 – 60 minutes or until apples are translucent as shown below. If the topping starts to brown too much, cover with foil or a lid until complete.
I really wouldn’t use any more cinnamon than noted above. I do have a tendency to overdo the cinnamon in general but too much will obscure the apple and maple flavors. In fact, I did try this with a full tablespoon of cinnamon and it was just too much. But do what you think you’ll like. Remember, most recipes are flexible.
Contest! Earth Balance margarine really is THE margarine to use for baking. And I have in my grubby paws THREE coupons for free Earth Balance products! One product per coupon, expiration date of 03/31/11, you are responsible for taxes cuz afterall, the government gets theirs. I will conduct a random drawing for three winners on November 19, 9pm CST. All you gotta do to enter is one of the following: Follow me on Twitter @snarkyvegan and send me a tweet mentioning you’re a new follower for the EB drawing. Follow me on Facebook, same deal, send me a message mentioning you’re a new follower for the EB drawing. Leave a comment on this post with your own tip for making supreme apple crisp. Yes, you may do all three and increase your chances of snagging a coupon. The coupons are good for any Earth Balance product including their really pricey nut butters! Don’t forget, if you want to snag a coupon, you gotta ensure I have a link back to you via email or your own blog/Twitter/Facebook accounts so I can notify you.
November 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm
That looks pretty darn good! I love cranberries. I ended up making some with coconut oil because for some reason Woodman’s had no earth balance sticks. I was totally a tv dinner kid in the 60s. Whenever we had a babysitter we got them for dinner.
November 2, 2010 at 10:41 pm
With cranberries, what a great idea!
I have made a mean apple crisp that’s raw using dehydrated apples reconstituted and it was just like cooked. But with the enzymes still.
I would love some EB to make some bake sale cookies. I follow you on twitter!
@cherrycobbler (love my cobblers!)
November 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm
liked on facebook
November 3, 2010 at 12:41 am
Oh the cranberries seem like a nice touch! I’ve made apple crisp like once and it was pretty darn good. Can’t go wrong with apples and cinnamon!
I think you should totally share more recipes. You shared one a while back with the quinoa and the Upton’s seitan and it was DEEELISH! It’s also one of those things I can easily eat so it’s made regularly.
November 3, 2010 at 5:27 am
This looks awesome! I just happen to have a big bag of apples, too!
November 3, 2010 at 6:28 am
That looks AWESOME!!!
November 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm
Yum yum! That looks so good!! Very ironic, but I am OUT of Earth Balance. Everytime I go to the store I forget to buy it. Sigh…I @singerinkitchen added you on TWitter. :D
November 3, 2010 at 3:30 pm
I let you a comment on Facebook (Noelle)
November 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm
Supreme apple crisp? Some added orange juice to the mix in order to have a juicier mix and some almond extract too! Changing up the nuts from pecans to almonds. I think I am going to have to make some tonight!
November 24, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Loved it! So did my husband.
December 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm
It really is awesome. If you can bake it long enough and with the right type of apple (firm so they don’t turn to applesauce) then they’re just like the ones in the Swanson’s TV dinners from the 60’s!