Have you seen the latest prices for fancy muesli these days?! Holy granola batman!
Needless to say, I thought there’s a better way and that it really wouldn’t be that difficult. Here’s a photo of my homemade—and I use that term VERY loosely—muesli:
How to mix your own cheapo muesli.
- 1 42-ounce container uncooked 2-minute raw oats
- 1 24-ounce box of Grapenuts type gnarly bits to add crunch (but you can leave this out if you can’t find any vegan brand near you)
- 1 24- or 32-ounce container of raisins
- 2 16-ounce bags of chopped pecans
- Get the largest mixing bowl you have, or a small trash can that’s been cleaned. Seriously, you’re going to need a BIG mixing container.
- Dump everything but the raisins in the container. Now dump the raisins on top and you’ll have to break them up with your hands so they scatter about in the mix. They’ll want to stick together so break them up well.
- Once all the raisins are unstuck, use a large spoon to gently mix everything together, stirring up from the bottom.
- Now, you’ll need at least two large, air-tight containers to store this. I usually use the container the oats came in and then my huge glass canister on the counter.
How to eat muesli.
- I just eat it cold with soy milk. Tons of fiber this way, straight up almost.
- DH likes to put frozen blueberries in his and then add soy milk. He likes it really cold.
- I’ve heard of some folks who cook their muesli before eating. I’ve honestly never tried that but I’m sure it’s good.
- I’ve also mixed in a few cups of ground flax seeds and this really causes the mixture thicken up as you’re eating.
- I’ve also used cranberries instead of raisins and while they are AWESOME, they are more expensive.
- I’ve also noticed that some brands of raisins have a funky taste (looking at Trader Joe’s here) so I get my raisins elsewhere. DH didn’t notice the flavor difference but I’m kinda funny that way.
- Sunflower seeds would be a great addition in place of some or all of the pecans.
- I have always wanted to toss in a 1/4 cup of cinnamon but haven’t tried that yet.
One bowl if this every day for breakfast for a week will definitely unstop your commode, if you know what I mean ;-P