This is in the oven right now and it–is–smelling–YUMMY! It will be ready just in time for dinner in 6 hours. Why 6 hours? Well, that’s because it takes about 6 hours to slow cook the twigs since they’re rather tough.
SnarkyVegan’s Twigs and Leaves Casserole
- 2 cups of roughly broken twigs, oak twigs are best because of the supreme fiber content but any twigs will do
- 3 cups of dried leaves
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 tube of Teese® cheddar sauce
- 1 cup of Daiya® or Teese® shredded mozzarella
- 12 garlic cloves, roughly cut, no need to mince
- 1 HUGE onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon each parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Prepare twigs and leaves by washing thoroughly to remove bugs. Discard any twigs or leaves that have started to decompose.
- Snap twigs into smaller lengths then place twigs and leaves into a large mixing bowl.
- Toss with garlic and diced onion then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine soy milk, cheddar sauce and herbs over medium-high heat. Whisk until blended but do not bring to a full boil.
- When sauce is blended, pour over the twig mixture in the large bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Pour everything into a very large and deep glass casserole.
- Bake at 325F for 6 hours or until twigs are tender.
- Then top with the shredded mozzarella and bake until melted.
Best served with a spunky beer or hard cider preferable after drinking a few glasses first. Check Barnivore.com for a good vegan beverage list. Garnish with seed pods. Pods from the St. John’s Wort shrub are especially pretty on this dish.
Technically, you could forage your twigs and leaves but it may be safer to stick to your own trees since you’ll know if they’ve been sprayed with pesticides. Contact your local Master Gardener if you’re unsure of the safety of your twigs and leaves.
This is one of the best ways to clean your yard while beefing up the fiber in your diet. Seriously, after one serving of this casserole, you omnis will be able to throw away that toilet plunger for good!
If you got this far….APRIL FOOLS!
(You didn’t really think vegans eat twigs and leaves did you?)