Smokey Kale Hummus
- 1 clove garlic (more if you have a stalker)
- 1 can chickpeas, liquid reserved
- juice from one lime
- 1/2 of one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon tahini if you’re not on a low fat diet, otherwise omit
- salt to taste
- 2 cups torn kale
- Remove stems from kale and tear leafy parts into large chunks. Steam kale until just barely bright green. Run under cold water to stop cooking then squeeze out the excess water with your hands. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process garlic, chickpeas and lime juice, adding small amounts of the reserved chickpea liquid if too dry for blades to turn.
- Add remaining ingredients except kale and process until very smooth.
- Adjust salt to taste and process to blend.
- Add kale last and process until broken up but you can still see leafy bits.
Serving suggestions: Goes great with a variety of crudités and there will be plenty left for lunches during the week. A red wine with heart is good company when dining alone.