Making a Green Meanie Martini
Make the ginger syrup and kale juice ahead of time and refrigerate until needed.
- 1 ounce ginger syrup (recipe below)
- 1 ounce kale/apple juice (how to do this in a blender below)
- 2 ounces limoncello (or 1 to 1 ratio of limoncello and vodka)
Add syrup, juice and limoncello to a shaker with ice. Shake, pour into martini glass and garnish with lemon.
Ginger Simple Syrup
- 3/4 to 1 cup thinly sliced ginger, no need to peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- Bring all ingredients to a soft boil, turn heat down to medium-high and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. It’s done when it reduces by about half, bubbles like a syrup, and a taste test confirms a strong ginger flavor.
- Strain into seal-able container and refrigerate until needed. Yields about a cup of syrup.
Kale/Apple Juice via a Blender
- 1 bundle of kale leaves, torn from stem (about 14 leaves)
- 1 large apple, chopped (your choice of flavor)
- 1 cup water
- Place items in blender as follows: chopped apple, then kale, then water. Blend until very smooth with no visible chunks. I use a Blendtec and have not tried this in a normal blender.
- Strain resulting smoothie in a nut bag or paint strainer bag over a big bowl. Paint strainer bags are about 1/4 the prices of a nut bag and you can get them at the hardware store.
- Go slow, if it splatters on you, it can stain. Twist the bag like you would a garbage bag and slowly squeeze the juice from the pulp.
- Pour juice in a jar and refrigerate until needed. Attempt to clean the bag. You may save the kale pulp and use in soups or smoothies.
TIP: I used Lacinato Kale for it’s milder flavor but you could try other kales of course.