It doesn’t get much better than this. Except maybe for those Tater Tot Nachos I posted a few days ago. Yeah, those are good too ;-}
This tater tot pizza is my contribution to the recent tater tot pizza craze that’s been sweeping Twitter of late. More on that later.
Snarky’s SuperEZ BBQ Tater Tot Pizza
- 1.5 cup your favorite BBQ sauce, homemade or bottled
- 1 medium onion, sauteed, I did mine in a dry skillet ala the Engine 2 method (see photo below)
- chipotle vegan sausage, I used a sliced Field Roast link but Upton’s makes an awesome chipotle crumble too, OPTIONAL
- 1 bag of shredded vegan cheddar, Daiya or Teese
- a bunch of pre-roasted tater tots, get them crunchy in the oven beforehand because they take longer than pizza
- your favorite pizza dough, I used Trader Joe’s whole wheat
- Preheat oven and roast tots in oven until toasty. Use package instructions for temp and time.
- While roasting tots, saute the sliced onion in a dry pan, or use oil if you want. Set aside. (Dry really is possible if you use a nonstick pan. See my note and photo below.)
- Set both aside. Raise temp in oven to 500F.
- Roll out the dough and place in a prepared pan (sprinkle pan with corn meal or rub on some oil to keep the dough from sticking).
- Slather on that BBQ sauce. You can see from the photos that I didn’t use much. In hindsight, I should’ve used twice as much sauce.
- Slice or crumble chipotle onto sauce. I might try the next one without any sausage as it kinda overpowered the BBQ sauce flavor.
- Sprinkle with onions and tots. Top with cheese.
- Pop the pizza in the oven, lower temp to 425F and bake 15-20 or until cheese melts and crust is browned.
Here are some step-by-step photos:
Additional vegan tater tot pizzas you should check out:
- Sarah Kramer’s Poutine Pizza with tater tots and mushroom gravy
- Annie of Meet the Shannons and her Mexican Tater Tot Pizza
- And here’s a Cheesy Vegan Tater Tot Garbage Plate Pizza from Kelly at Perfect Pizza Press, this one oozes when sliced
- And if you want a healthier version, the buff fellows over at Engine 2 have their own version (PDF link)